Tuesday 07-Jul-09 at Planet of the Grapes.
Always fascinating to meet the owner or wine-maker in person and get the back story on the wine in the glass. This time we had the Duke himself. The estate has been in the family since 1427 and Il Duccio can boast a saint and a pope in his ancestry.
A mixture of chianti and 'super tuscan'*. I will spare you my scrappy notes and simply indicate my preferences.
- Chianti Classico "le Corti" 2006 @ £16.00 - OK :-)
- Chianti Classico Riserva "Cortevecchia" 2005 @ £26.50 - Not keen on this one.
- Chianti Classico Riserva "Cortevecchia" 1997 @ £35.00 - Lost its fruit.
- Chianti Classico "Don Tommaso" 2005 @ £25.50 - My favourite of the Chiantis in the glass.
- Chianti Classico "Don Tommaso" 1999 (from magnum) @ £65.00 - Marginally better than 4 when with food.
- Maremma "Birillo" 2006 @ £15.00 - Elegant, light & fuity.
- Maremma "Marsiliana" 2004 @ £35.00 - My favourite of the Super Tuscans. Well balanced.
- Maremma "Marsiliana" 2001 @ £40.00 - Intense note (cheesy?)