Another tasting at Planet of the Grapes last night, this time Rioja.Almost the same crew as last time: David, Bron, Paul and this time Mary was able to make it. Frans the Bodega's Export Director gave us a good insight into the estate, its history and the wines.
- Pazo Barrantes, Albarino D.O. Rias Baixas 2005 @ £13.50
- Blanco Reserva "Capellania" 2002 @ £12.50
- Tinto Reserva 2002 @ £.50
- Tinto Reserva 2001 @ £14.50
- Tinto Gran Reserva Special Release (Magnum) 1980 @ £115
- Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial 1998 @ £33
- Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Historic Release 1978 @ £80
- Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Historic Release 1968 price N/A
- Dalmau 2001 @ £50
It was fascinating to do a vertical tasting for a change and going back so far with wines not available in the shops. As often I was in a minority regards which were the better wines. Mary reckons it is not because of any deficiency in my palate rather that it is my personal preference for jammy flavours.