25 minutes to prepare + cooling
40 minutes to cook
Makes 10 slices
- Low fat cooking spray
- 125g (4 1/2oz) stoned dried dates
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 100g (3 1/2oz) pineapple chunks in juice, drained
- 250g (9oz) self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g (3 1/2oz) carrots, coarsely grated
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 25g (1oz) icing sugar
2. Put the dates and spices in a small pan with 200ml (7fl oz) water and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes until the dates are soft, then set aside to cool. Meanwhile, blitz the pineapple chunks briefly with a hand-held blender until roughly pureed. Set aside. Puree the cooled dates until smooth.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Stir in the pineapple, pureed dates, carrots, orange zest, juice of 1/2 the orange and the eggs. Beat until combined then pour into the cake tin. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until firm and springy to the touch. Allow to cool in the tin.
4. Remove the cake from the tin and take off the paper. Add enough of the remaining orange juice to the icing sugar to make smooth icing. Drizzle over the cake and leave to set. Slice into 10 pieces and store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.